Category Archives: Campus Community

What’s happening on campus, and what the people and atmosphere here are like.

From One World to Another

The transition from high school to college can bring out a lot of emotions you didn’t expect. College, especially if you live on campus, is a totally different lifestyle than what you were used to in high school. The change of environment can have more of an impact on you than what you thought it would. Everyone deals with the transition differently and experiences different feelings when coming to college.

Personally when coming to college my freshman year, I struggled with being homesick. Even though I only lived about an hour and a half away from my home, I still missed it a lot. I made a great group of friends during my first semester at Fontbonne, but still missed my family and friends back home. I used to go home every weekend that I possibly could, but always regretted not staying on campus. I would see my Fontbonne friends posting pictures on Facebook of their fun weekends spent at Forest Park or trying out a new restaurant at The Loop.

I struggled a lot with deciding to spend weekends on campus or going home to see my family. I wanted so desperately to hang out with my new friends, but I hated feeling homesick. I soon came to realize that it’s okay to feel homesick sometimes. It’s just a side effect of moving away from your home you’ve known all your life. Things get better!

Five things that make Fontbonne an amazing place to be

Hey Fonties! Welcome back! I hope your spring break was absolutely fabulous (I’m really sad it’s over… can we have a spring break redo?…. No?…. Okay….). Anyway, let’s  jump right into it then. In my three years as a Griffin, I’ve noticed a lot of little golden nuggets that make Fontbonne a great place to learn and grow. Here are my five favorite things that make Fontbonne amazing.

1. The Campus

Being on campus will make you feel like you’ve stepped off of a page of “Better Homes and Gardens.” Fontbonne in the spring is absolutely gorgeous

2. The People

When I say I’m extremely blessed and fortunate to be a part of the Fontbonne family, I mean it wholeheartedly. The people you will encounter on campus will continuously fill your spirit with joy.

3. The Staff

Fontbonne teachers and staff are awesome people. The teachers here take time to get to know you personally, and make it their business to make sure you succeed.

4. The Class Size

You will never feel lost in the shuffle or like another number on campus. The class sizes are small enough so that everyone in the room gets what they need.

5. Your Major

*inserts comments here*

Why is FBU so special!?

Finally, all students are back from spring break.. After joining the Lacrosse team, I was able to spend my break on campus, sadly watching groups of friends enjoy their time at the famous PCB spring break get-a-way.. I hope all my readers enjoyed their break!

Even with all that being said, during my time this past week, I had a blast here on campus.. I was able to meet with a professor to discuss an exam, which is one thing I really love about Fontbonne! Teachers are always around and if they aren’t, it’s extremely easy to get in touch with them to schedule a meeting. It’s SO nice to know that they’re here for my success! Another thing I really enjoy about Fontbonne is that nearly half of the students live on campus, which means I see new students who commute almost every single day! It’s a great feeling to meet new people and broaden my personal skills as well as enjoy the fun and entertainment that friendship offers!

What makes Fontbonne different.

When people look for the college of their dreams they look for what makes it unique. They are looking for their home away from home. Fontbonne had this for me and for many other people who decided to come here.

Fontbonne is unique because of its size. Fontbonne’s small class sizes really help the students. The best class discussions I’ve had were in classes with less than 15 people. The individual attention I get in small classes make the class experience even better.

Fontbonne is also unique because of the opportunities you have on campus to have fun. Just a couple weeks ago I saw big hero 6 in the dunham student activity center. These movies happen all the time and are completely free for students. Other events happen all the time, not just movies, and are just as fun.

Fontbonne is unique in many ways. These two are just the ones that have personally touched me the most. Finding a college that is your home away from home is key to having a good college experience. This also means finding the elements of the university that is unique.

What Makes Fontbonne Unique

When I first visited Fontbonne I had a gut feeling that it was the perfect school for me.

Fontbonne was not the first campus I visited.  I was weighing the pros and cons of a handful colleges in the Illinois and Missouri area and as fate would have it, I decided to check out Fontbonne.

I didn’t know much about the university before my initial visit except that it had the major that I was interested in (dietetics).  I remember attending an open house at Fontbonne for prospective students of the dietetics major with my dad.  Afterwards, he couldn’t stop talking about how impressed he was of the professors in the dietetics program that spoke.  I was extremely impressed too, and after getting accepted into Fontbonne and getting to know my professors, I knew I had made the right decision.

Fontbonne is unique in many ways, but here’s what sticks out to me personally:

Fontbonne is a smaller school, therefore it makes it easier to have a voice in the classroom if you’re confused or need further guidance.  Not only that but from my personal experiences, the professors truly care about the students and seeing them succeed.  They take advantage of the small classrooms and use that to give students projects and opportunities they might not have in a big lecture hall-style school.

I love that information is easily accessible at the university.  If you have questions on financial aid, class schedules, registration, clubs, etc., it takes no time at all to find what you’re looking for.  Just ask around and just about everyone is helpful!

I love is how easy it is to get to know people within your classes.  Group projects and just simply being in small classrooms really gets you to bond with those people you’re with. Applying to a school that none of my friends went to was intimidating at first… but I’ve met some of the greatest people right here at Fontbonne and I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

I hope this helps any prospective students checking out Fontbonne!

Have a great post-spring break week!

Three Day Weekends

In three days, I’ve been able to emerge from my shell of my residence hall and venture into the artistic delights of St. Louis.

On Friday, March 6th, on a whim, I was driving back to campus when I suddenly decided I should pop by the St. Louis Art Museum. After all, on Fridays, they are open until 9pm. So, I went, expecting a quiet night of solitude and mindful, artistic contemplation. Nope. It turns out that Friday was the opening of the SLAM’s “Art in Bloom” exhibit, where floral designers around St. Louis emulated different arrangements inspired by the works of art in the museum. So, I did not get a quiet night of solitude and mindful, artistic contemplation. I got a noisy night of joyful interactions with St. Louisans who were willing to engage with me and my mindful contemplations. I was really amazed at how willing others were eager to share their opinions with me. In fact, I made some new friends based on our mutual agreements and well-delivered disagreements. St. Louis has some very artsy people, and many who are willing to support the Arts.

On Saturday night, I joined some old Fonty friends that evening to do some Karaoke at Tom’s Bar and Grill in Central West End. For those over 21, they  have Karaoke there from 9pm – 1am. I go there often, and because it is so popular, I never get a chance to sing. Well, tonight, I was lucky- I impressed the crowd with a rendition of Kelly Clarkson’s “A Moment Like This.” My friends were proud to call me friend that night, let’s just say. But I made a lot of new friends as well, those who complimented me and were wishing for me to sing again. It’s hard to stay humble when you have a reaction like that, but again, people were friendly enough to come up to me and thank me for a solid performance. St. Louis was friendly, encouraging people, people who are willing to support each other, new or old friends.

On Sunday, to my dismay, I discovered that the Mass at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis started at 12pm and NOT 12.30pm. Ooops. So for future reference, those who want to go there for Sunday Mass… it starts at 12pm. The Cathedral was very full when I walked in, and I had to sit at the back. You know if you’ve been there that the Cathedral is HUGE. So I concluded: St. Louis has a lot of Catholics, who are willing to support this beautiful Church, and who are willing to practice their faith and spirituality, without giving latecomers that snide look of “You’re late, go away.”

That evening, I had the unique pleasure of watching “The Phantom of the Opera” at the Fabulous Fox Theatre tonight with one of my dearest friends, Angela. I have always been on the edge with this musical. I’ve performed songs from it in High School, but I never had the urge to watch the musical or the film. However, despite this, I was still very excited to finally watch it. One cannot deny that the opportunity to watch a famous musical is utterly exhilarating. Needless to say, the musical was fantastic, and I have been singing songs from it all evening. It was much more meaningful that I was able to watch it with Angela, too. And the House was packed. all 7600 seats filled. St. Louis has a lot of people who like to watch theatre and musicals; some take it more seriously than others, but they are willing to come out on a Sunday evening and watch a timeless classic.

What am I trying to say? St. Louis just has a lot of great people who recognize the worthiness of the arts, faith, and spirituality. You’re one of them. You’re a part of this community, whether you are from Missouri or not. And that’s something that’s worth staying for. I can only hope I’ll find a similar community after I move following graduation. For now, I can revel in being a part of this vibrant community. You can too!

Taking Data

As a speech-pathology major, one of my profession’s greatest concerns is keeping track. By keeping track, we have the evidence we need to judge our work, to backtrack, or move forward, with different strategies, all to achieve a goal. For many speech-pathology majors, or any major that requires taking data, it is difficult to keep track while you’re in sessions. The multitasking is difficult, and the struggle is truly real, especially when you are bound by a code of ethics that requires faithful data collection.

But everyone does it, in a way. Figuratively, I think we all have a subconscious force in us that computes a tally. This tally can be anything; what makes us unique is our counting priorities. Not only do we count, we gauge progress based on the percentage we achieve. We all have our own “code of ethics” that guides us in making our choices to make our time count. Now, not everyone things in numbers, but we can at least count, can we not? Some of us count calories. Some of us count money. Some of us count how many times we make people laugh in a day. Some of us count how many times that cutie in class smiles back. Some of us try to count how many times that client produces the /k/ and /k/ in the initial position of CVC words in spontaneous conversations with 80% accuracy during unstructured activities given only semantic and verbal cues.

Hold up, hold up, Izzy… stop rambling. So what does this have to do with Fontbonne?

Being at Fontbonne has shown me that your time here really does count, qualitatively, and quantitatively. I cannot tell you how many great conversations I have had with the people here throughout my 6 years in St. Louis. From all of them, I have yielded little nuggets of wisdom I will keep, like Sister Rita teaching me, “There’s a world out there friends… don’t miss it.”. I cannot tell you how many random acts of kindness I have received or have witnessed students do for others (so whoever left that cookie in my mailbox THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!).  I cannot tell you how many times I have been on adventures with friends in spontaneous youth that have ended in the most meaningful experiences of my life, like the time someone organized a treasure hunt for me in Forest Park during a tough time. I cannot tell you how many times I am awed at how I learn so much from my other students, older and younger, like the amazing leaders I witnessed today during Selection Saturday, so willing and pepped up to take over campus with their positivism and enthusiasm.

It is not always about the number, but about what made that number meaningful to you. In other words, you are more than a number. You’re not just a statistic in the system. You can definitely trust that there is someone here who will make your time count more than you think, and you are also given the motivation to track your own progress as you are molded by the nuggets of wisdom you receive. For what it’s worth, I’ve already lost count!

Becoming a College Student

When I was first looking at colleges senior year, I was a bit nervous. I heard all kinds of rumors such as the classes are the size of a theater, the teachers don’t care if you succeed etc…But once I came to Fontbonne, I found all of that to be untrue. Fontbonne has smaller classes, with no more than 25 people per class. Teachers really do want you to do well. In fact, during my first semester, there was one student who never came to class and the instructor was concerned for the person.

One struggle in the beginning was that my parents really wanted me to go to Benedictine college. I visited there to give it a chance but it really did not suit me. It was in a rural area, in the middle of no where, and the people there were very different. It was a culture shock. My parents liked it because of its Catholic identity. However, in the end, my parents agreed that Fontbonne was a more suitable place.

So my advice to all incoming freshman… invest time into finding a place that suits you the best. Its very rewarding to succeed in an environment that helps you reach your highest potential.

Fried Green Tomatoes

It’s been a while since I’ve last blogged, but since it’s my last semester, I hope you will indulge me as I prepare for the next step. Yes, I am graduating in May! It seems very surreal, but so does the rest of my life. After all, I am grateful that I was able to start a new life here.

I am watching “Fried Green Tomatoes,” one of my favorite films about the friendship of two women in the 1920s and how their story empowers a housewife set in the early 90’s (I think?) to emerge from the barren dust of her marriage to strengthen her confidence in herself and in others around her. I watched this film with a friend here at Fontbonne, and it’s remained a favorite since.

Last week, I walked through the passageway between East and Ryan Hall into a group of international students. I met them at the President’s International Student Reception the week before. My mood was rather sombre and stressed, so I did not stop to speak, but I said hello. And wow, what a hello back I received! All of them saw me, and just yelled, “HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!” in different timbres, pitches, inflections, languages… you name it! It was as if I scored a goal in a football match. I mean, a soccer match. I walked away laughing, out of my sombre mood!

Though I cannot relate to being a bitter housewife, I can definitely relate to being in a rough situation when I started here. It’s moments like those where I can stop and remember how amazing the stories and efforts of others from times gone by are, along with the friendships and support I’ve received here. I have really come to fry my own green tomatoes… and eat them too.

3 Quick Ways To Feel Less Stressed

3 Quick Ways To Feel Less Stressed

Well Fontbonne, we are now about a month into the spring semester. Are you feeling the stress yet? Because I sure am! Assignments, readings, and projects are starting to pile up, on top of working two jobs and managing my social life (or at least pretending like I have one!)

But during these times, I remember my favorite quote, “Diamonds are made under pressure.” Who said it? Well… I don’t really know. But it is a powerful saying either way! By learning how to handle life’s stressors, we will truly be able to shine above the rest!

Here are some quick ways to help you defrazzle during a hectic week!

1. Take Deep Breaths

Next time you find yourself rushing to finish that paper, do a self-check. Are you breathing normally or taking short, sporadic breaths? I find when I am really having a stressful day, my breaths are very short and shallow. Sounds silly that we might have to remind ourselves to breathe, but by taking a few deep breaths we allow more oxygen into your body. This, in turn, slows down your heart beat and helps lower your blood pressure, helping us feel more relaxed. Simply inhale counting to 3 and then exhale counting to 3. Do this about 3 times to help you destress.

2. Laugh 

There are so many benefits to laughing, which is why I believe we should laugh every single day! One of those benefits is, in fact, that it helps us relax. Laughing helps lower the stress hormones in our bodies and helps loosen the tension in our muscles when stressed. So go search YouTube for some of those funny, cute cat videos! They always give me a good chuckle!

3. Exercise

We all know exercise is essential for overall health, but it can vastly improve your mood and stress levels as well! When you exercise, your body releases endorphins that help lift your spirits and reduce anxiety (also known as “Runner’s High.”) Even a simple 10-minute walk or a quick Sun Salutation can help reduce your stress!

What are some ways that help you relieve stress?!

Also, be sure to check out my personal blog, The Wholey Trinity, for more health and wellness tips!

-XOXO Hannah