Carly

Just Keep Swimming

by Carly on April 18, 2017

in College Life,Extracurricular

You know, sometimes, life can be hard. I’m sure you’ve figured that one out by now. I’m just going to be completely honest in this week’s blog and then I promise to be positive. Life stressors can be very overwhelming. There’s job #1, job #2, and job #3. And then there’s school. And then there’s the fact that your coworker/friend makes such a huge mistake, all the local news stations pick it up. And you lose a family member. And then you lose a student. And you’re trying to search for a new apartment. And oh yeah, try to spend some quality time with my fiancé, family, and friends. It’s. A. Lot. With so much going on, it can be challenging to handle everything.

Although it may seem like I am complaining, I still wouldn’t have it any other way. I have always been a busy-bee. At the end of the day, I thoroughly enjoy getting involved in as much as I can. But it is important to learn how to say no sometimes. I am learning that. Especially with so many unplanned events going on, I had to realize what I can and cannot handle. I’m sure many of my fellow bloggers and Fontbonne students reading this are also heavily involved with school, work, and extracurricular activities. And I am telling you that it is okay to say no. Do as much as you can, but do not forget to take care of yourself and lose sight of what’s most important to you.

On a typical day, I have many things that I need to accomplish within one day. But I am realizing more and more the importance of finding a little bit of a break time in between one thing from the next. For me, I help unwind by listening to music (Ed Sheeran’s new album, Divide, is my top right now). Also, I try to take my time while eating dinner. I used to eat on the go or maybe not even at all. More and more, I crave for dinner time to be that hour of my day to relax and catch up with my fiancé and family. Find that thing for you that will keep you going throughout that day. It’s so vital to your mental and physical health. And don’t ever lose sight of your end goal. School can be challenging and it is time-consuming, but it has so many perks. At the end of the day, I love learning and love that it will get me to where I want to be in life. I also love my job and all the opportunities and relationships it brings. I am grateful for my fiancé, friends, and for my family. All in all, I do not have it bad.  Not at all. I have it great. I just need to learn from life’s obstacles and just keep swimming.

Dory is a lot smarter than she gets credit for. Dory is a lot smarter than she gets credit for.