Carly

Service Day the ODK Way

by Carly on April 10, 2017

in Campus Community,Organizations, Activities & Events,Our Causes

It’s that time of year again for Fontbonne Service Day! For those of you that aren’t aware yet, this is a day very unique and special to Fontbonne. One of the university’s values is to serve our dear neighbor. So, the university cancels all classes for a day in the spring to give students and faculty the chance to do so! There are multiple locations that you can sign up to volunteer at. Classes are cancelled so that more students can get involved with this important day.

For the last four years, the honors society Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) has visited the same place to volunteer on service day. We help at the House of Living Stone Community Garden in Brentwood. Within the last few years, ODK has helped expand the garden tremendously and maintain its upkeep. One of the values of Omicron Delta Kappa is also service, so completing this project each year is important to the Fontbonne community as well the ODK one. It is exciting to come back each year and see the progression. And, it’s sweet that we’ve built a relationship with the staff there. They are all so kind and welcoming. They even serve us a wonderful lunch!

Although I am an alum and have moved onto my master’s, I still find it worthwhile to find time for service, as I did throughout my undergrad. I enjoy helping with the garden and spending time with my fellow ODK members. Regardless of who you serve with and where you serve, I hope you all can see the benefit in following the Fontbonne mission of serving our dear neighbor.

ODK_NDOS

Save