Serve the others with love

by Mary on April 10, 2017

in Our Causes

Hello everyone,

I hope you all had another great week, as I know it was a busy one for many people around campus.

This week’s blog is about service and why it is important to me particularly. For me, it has been an important part of my life since I was in 8th grade as a part of my confirmation through my church. The motto of serviam was engraved in all of the students at the high school I attended here in St. Louis during my entire four years.  I was so involved with different service projects and events around my community when I was in high school, and I am thankful for all of those experiences I had. To serve means to give of your time and talents to those in the community who are less fortunate and need a helping hand. I am someone who truly enjoys giving of my time, especially when the service project entails doing something that I love like preparing food for those in need.

Over the past eight years I have done a lot of different service projects with different populations of people and hands-on work. One of the most impactful service project I have completed was during my service trip to New Orleans which was during my junior year of high school. I was down in the lower ninth ward seven years after Hurricane Katrina hit the city, and I had the opportunity to serve at a few different houses throughout the week. I served at one particular lady’s house and the back portion of her house hadn’t been touched since the hurricane hit a few years prior. I worked in the spare bedroom of this one family’s home in which we were told to remove some dry wall and tile flooring from the space. As a group we were really productive that day as we got lots of debris removed and bagged. Then, the next day our experience was just as rewarding because we worked in Miss Veronica’s front yard and side yard to help remove weeds and lay fresh mulch. As a group of five we were able to get down on our hands and knees in order to get a ton of weeds removed from the dirt areas. Buying the mulch was our gift to Miss Veronica and she was so gracious for the beautiful mulch, as it looked really nice on her lawn. I am so thankful I had the opportunity to serve at Miss Veronica’s house that day and I still remember her five years later.

I hope you guys have had some sort of impactful service project that you have had a part in at some point.  Thanks for reading about my experience and come back next week to read what I have to write about.