Carly

Tale as Old as Time

by Carly on March 20, 2017

in In Saint Louis

As a huge Disney freak, words cannot describe how excited I’ve been in anticipation of the live-action Beauty and the Beast being released. And it’s finally here! I remember hearing about this movie in the works of couple years ago. Especially in the last few months, it has been everywhere in the news. From interviews with the stars, to various trailers, and to music videos being released, I feel like I was reading something new about it every day practically.

Because I am such a huge Disney fan, and because this was my favorite cartoon movie growing up, I am going to send this week’s blog talking about this blockbuster movie. But don’t worry; I won’t give any spoilers away. Although, it’s probably safe to say you already know the story. 😉

Overall, I thought this movie was beautifully made. I like that it truly stuck to the original cartoon version. With the exception of a couple minor plot twists, the look of the characters, the songs, and progression of the story was very similar to the one we grew up with. Any expectations I had were exceeded. In addition, the imagery in this film was absolutely breathtaking. Everything from the view of the castle, to the ornate costumes, and visuals of the snowy woods, it was all a wonderful sight to see. And then there’s one of the most iconic scenes of all time: when Belle and the Beast have their first dance in the ballroom, with her yellow gown and his blue suit. As Mrs. Potts sang “Beauty and the Beast” and this scene was playing before me, I can guarantee you I was giddier than the numerous children sitting in the row next to me. Beautiful!

And speaking of children, the kids in this theater were troopers! I completely understand that you want to take kids to see this movie; I mean, come on, it’s Princess Belle! However, there were quite a few scary elements throughout the film. I never realized how many scary and life-threatening scenes there were until I saw it in live-action. For one, of course the beast is a bit frightening at first, before you see his soft side. Also, there are a couple occasions where characters are fighting off deadly wolves. Plus, Gaston isn’t referred to as a “bad guy” for no reason (although I must say, the actor that plays him is quite a charmer; but shame on you, Gaston!). But there are still many magical moments that kids and adults alike can enjoy. Who could not love little Chip?!

So, there’s my brief two cents on the film. I have just been so excited to see it; I could not wait another day. You don’t have to rush out the first weekend like me, but I hope you get a chance to go soon! I love a good-hearted story that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Trust me, you will not be disappointed by this tale as old as time.

beauty and the beast

Save