Ode to coffee, love of my life

by Jess on March 13, 2017

in College Life,Extracurricular,Our Causes

I don’t know about you guys, but I personally can’t envision my life without coffee…

It all started my sophomore year of college. I was an innocent to coffee back then, having only experienced various frou-frou “coffee” drinks here and there (no shame – I think all of us die-hards start out with a frappuccino or two). Tastes of my grandfather’s black coffee had made me screw up my face in distaste. However, I had to do SOMETHING to alleviate the exhaustion my 8 am classes wrought upon me. I don’t drink soda or energy drinks, so my caffeine options were somewhat limited – until one of my friends suggested the simplest of simple coffee drinks, a vanilla latte.

There was a Starbucks conveniently located in the building that housed my 8 am, so I thought, why not? After one particularly tiring session of class, I trudged downstairs to wait in line, somewhat nervous about ordering from the then-daunting menu. Grande? Venti? What??? I was so confused. But I managed to complete my order with no hitches, and before I knew it, I was the proud owner of a fresh Grande Vanilla Latte.

The first time I drank a latte, I did not have an epiphany. I remember being grateful for the energy rush and enjoying the taste, but I had no idea what that first step down the rabbit hole would bring. Now, I am a gold member at Starbucks until 2019, the owner of a Keurig, and a coffee scavenger – local coffee places are my favorite establishments. I enjoy my coffee dark and iced, with almond milk or half-and-half, and when I need that extra pick-me-up I go for cold brew or espresso shots. If I don’t have coffee, I get a caffeine headache – once, in Disney World, I thought I was dying of a migraine until I realized that it was 4 pm and I hadn’t had my fix. I drank a grande in about two minutes and felt like a new woman.

Could I have better habits? Yes. Could I have worse habits? Definitely! What are some of your favorite coffee-based drinks?

xoxo
Jess