For the love of Sports

by Mary on March 8, 2017

For me, I am very passionate about sports in general as I watch many different sporting events throughout the week.  I am a huge fan of the St. Louis Cardinals and the St. Louis Blues as I faithfully keep up with their schedules and stats throughout the season.  I have always been a sports fan since I was a young kid as my dad used to bring me to his adult hockey games when he would play late at night out in Chesterfield.  Also, my parents have always taken the opportunity to bring me along to Cardinals baseball games at Busch stadium as I have plenty of memories of old Busch and New Busch.  I have sat in almost all areas of the new stadium since it was inaugurated in April of 2006 and I had the opportunity to go to the Home Opener that year.  I have also seen countless postseason Cardinals games over the years as well as a handful of Blues postseason games with my family.  One of my greatest memories from a St. Louis Cardinals Postseason game was in October of 2006 when we won game 5 of the World Series against the Detroit Tigers. I am a passionate Cardinals fan because I faithfully follow them from April until September and I even keep up with who is on the DL, oh I mean the disabled list. When I have the chance to attend a game at Busch it is always exciting and I cheer for all of my favorite players throughout the game. And when I am watching the game along with my friends or my teammates they don’t understand why I yell at the TV for a bad call that was made by the umpire.

Although I am very passionate about this team, that is not the only sport I am passionate about.  I also keep up with Professional Golfers who are on tour and I try to watch the tournaments that are a big deal.  I follow players like Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith, and Justin Thomas on Social Media. As a golfer myself I like watching their technique and seeing their amazing shots go in the hole, especially on days when they are playing amazing rounds of golf.  It’s always fun to see how they do when they have those tricky shots because it makes me realize that I am not the only one who encounters tricky golf shots when out on the course. I enjoy seeing the winner hoist that trophy at the end of each trophy and I have even watched a few trophy ceremonies before.  Both the officials and players make it seem like it is the most coveted thing to ever hold and they handle it with care.  It makes a golf tournament trophy similar to that of the World Series trophy or the Limbardi trophy that is hoisted every February.  Except in the game of golf coveted trophies are hoisted much more frequently than a World Series trophy that is given to one team at the very end of the season. There is so much excitement surrounding the game of golf because you want the players to do well while competing on the course, but if you are there following along you have cheer silently unlike other major sports.

Thanks for reading why I am passionate about sports, particularly Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, and Professional Golf.