Carly

The Loop of the Lou

by Carly on March 28, 2017

in In Saint Louis

This past weekend, I spent some time in one of my favorite spots in St. Louis: The Delmar Loop! If you are ever looking for something to do, it is just a couple miles up the street from Fontbonne. I love how eclectic and artsy this area is. I have spent many days and nights and there, but I still seem to find new things to try there. On Saturday, my first stop was Avalon Exchange. It is a thrift store, but not like your average Goodwill shop. They have amazing vintage finds that all have come back in style (at least in my world they did). Avalon’s associates are extremely trendy and friendly, and the store is very organized. You can find everything separated by category and by size. No digging required! My favorite find of the day? A vintage silk dress from the 1960s, embellished with swirls of sequins. Also, some cute rainbow flats that are perfect for spring. My dress was only $10 and the shoes $7!

For my next stop, I couldn’t pass up the legendary Chuck Berry’s statue. Since his passing the weekend before, many fans passing by placed flowers, beads, candles, stuffed animals, and letters around his statue. He is arguably the most famous and successful musician to emerge from St. Louis. Fun fact: he was the first person to be inducted into the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame! And he continued to perform at St. Louis’ own Blueberry Hill, up until his death. His statue stands right across the street from Blueberry Hill restaurant and bar. It is always sad loosing a legend, but his music will live on.

Lastly, but certainly not least, I couldn’t leave the Loop without grabbing some ice cream. There are several options, but this time I went with Peacock Diner. It’s the outgoing tatted up waiters/waitresses and fried pickles that keep bringing me back. And the ice cream! I never thought something as a strawberry shake could taste so good. But when it’s homemade at the Peacock Diner, I really does. Also, the fact that you can play ski ball there and it never closes doesn’t hurt either. There is always something to do in the Lou, and the Loop is always a great place to start!

20170327_212503