Helpful study tips

by Mary on March 6, 2017

For me I have had different study habits each year that I have been a student in college because for me it is based on what classes I have at the time. I used very different study habits when I was in religion class freshman year as compared to sophomore year when I was in Chemistry class. It has also changed based on where I live. When I lived on campus in Medaille I studied mostly in my dorm room on the weekends when I had upcoming unit tests. I would also sometimes study up on the third floor of AB when I was preparing for a Chemistry test because I could bounce questions off of my classmates. So, if any science majors read this article I would suggest studying up on the third floor of AB with your fellow classmates. Sometimes last year in the evenings if I had a really big test coming up in one of my dietetics classes or chemistry, I would study at one of the big tables on the second floor of the library.  I also found this as a helpful space to study last semester for a few of my classes even as a commuter.

Another major tip that I was given my freshman year was, if you have a major test to study for you should turn off your phone while studying so that there are less distractions.  There were a few times last semester when I would work in the library and I found this very helpful as a way to be productive.  Some people are just so attached to their phones and it can be good to turn it off even if it is just for an hour, then you can turn it back on.  An additional helpful study tip that I can think of if you are studying for a large test is to take time to make study cards either online or in index cards right after you learn the vocabulary. This way you can start studying them right away and study a chunk of the cards at a time, so that you are not cramming at the last second.  I know I found this to be useful last semester when I was in biology because it is a course with a lot of vocabulary terms.

I hope everyone does well on their midterm exams or final exams if you have an eight week class that is ending and I hope these tips are helpful.