Carly

Branching Out

by Carly on March 13, 2017

in Academics,Career Paths

This semester, one of the education courses I am taking is called The Contemporary Classroom. One of the class requirements is to observe a teacher for at least 30 hours and teach a lesson plan that you wrote. Today I started my first day of observations with the Mehlville High School theater teacher, Mr. Moore. I will also be with him all of next week since I am on spring break from work. I am excited to branch out and meet people in a different district! I live close to Mehlville (in South County), and know a few people that graduated from there with nothing but great things to say. So that’s what led me to choosing that location. And from the very beginning of setting everything up, Mr. Moore has already been very helpful.

Today the students in the Mehlville district were off school so the teachers could have a professional development day. So I met Mr. Moore and a couple other teachers in the district at Oakville High School for that. The main topic for the day was student engagement, and how to get students off of their cell phone during class and rehearsal, and truly focusing on what’s in front of them. This is a growing problem in all districts, and an ongoing discussion and trial-and-error of how to combat this issue. Next week I will be observing in the classroom setting for all of Mr. Moore’s theater classes. Wednesday is going to be the day that I teach my lesson plan after I’ve been in the class for a couple days. Fingers crossed that I have a positive learning experience and all goes well! With the first day down, I’d say so far, so good!