Fontbonne Mission

by Mary on February 9, 2017

Let me first tell you what the mission statement is for this amazing university, as it has recently changed and is more concise now.

“Fontbonne University, a Catholic institution sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, is committed to the common good through the daily pursuit of transformative education, inspiring students to become global citizens who think critically, act ethically and serve responsibly.”

For me personally this is a statement that truly identifies our university and what the CSJ’s stand for as well as what they represent in this community.  As someone who has been involved in many service projects throughout the last three years at Fontbonne I know what it’s like to serve the dear neighbor without distinction and to treat others as if they are apart of the common good. I truly enjoy being there for others when I can whether it’s those in my campus community or those in the greater St. Louis community.  As a university Fontbonne really tries to instill in the focus on academic excellence and for the students to do their very best in the classroom and to not be afraid to as professors questions. Once I was able to get on that one-on-one level with teachers and really get to know them, then I felt they were inspiring me to demonstrate my best self.  Based on some of the things I have learned in class and things I have been involved in across campus I feel that professors truly are there to teach us how to fly into the world as educated global citizens.

As someone who grew up learning about the Catholic faith, I am proud to attend a Catholic institution and follow in the footsteps of the CSJ’s.  I am so thankful that I continued to stay involved in campus ministry throughout my time at this university, as it helped me to bond with others and grow in my faith.  Through ministry related events, I have had the opportunity to meet multiple of the sisters in my time here at Fontbonne and they all have interesting stories to tell about what it is like being a sister.  I am so proud to be able to say I am a Fontbonne student who practices my faith and am a part of a university sponsored by the Sister’s of St. Joseph of Carondolet.

Thanks for reading this weeks post.