Lauren

What I’m Excited For

by Lauren on February 20, 2017

in After College,Career Paths

I was particularly psyched to write this blog post. It’s the start of a new semester…or it was a few months back. And things are happening rapidly. In this crazy madness of school, work, and extracurriculars I have this growing excitement.

If you would’ve told me as a freshman that I would be thisĀ excited about my future, Freshman Me wouldn’t have believed you. Thinking back on that time I was very shy, insecure, and anxious. In fact, I even questioned my place at Fontbonne. For a while, I panicked and thought maybe I had made the wrong decision.

Now I’m over the moon about being a Griffin. (Do people still say “over the moon?”) In a few months, I’ll be a graduate. And for the first time I can adamantly say that I am excited for the future. Sure, it’s scary. But I have so many ambitions.

Aside from all the normal adult things that us millennials dream about (apartment, financial stability, health insurance, a pet…), I’m most excited for my career. Part of the reason, I think, that I’m most excited is because that I don’t know for sure what will happen. That fear factor would’ve scared me off, say, a semester ago. But something about being so close to the end has caused me to have a drastic change of heart.

I’m a proud art major who is expanding her horizons. I love art and drawing dearly but I also like to code. It was something that I was always interested in but wasn’t sure that I was smart enough, had enough drive, or even had time to pursue it. The few computer science courses that I was able to take sparked enough of a curiosity in me that I am now looking at an apprenticeship at LaunchCode!

It’s definitely a lesson: There is more than one way to do things and more than one way to look at things. Try all sorts of things before settling on what you want. And it’s okay to change your mind! There’s always another path.