Critically, Ethically, Responsibly

by Jess on February 8, 2017

in Campus Community

“Fontbonne University, a Catholic institution sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, is committed to the common good through the daily pursuit of transformative education, inspiring students to become global citizens who think critically, act ethically and serve responsibly.”

Without getting too political, in light of the state of our world today, I think our university’s mission statement is more relevant than ever. Education is, in itself, transformative, as often enough are the institutions from which we receive our education. I loved my undergraduate university because of its commitment to diversity. Students from all over the globe attended Tennessee Tech, and I see the same trend at Fontbonne, which astounds me – our school is relatively small, yet it attracts students from many countries, walks of life, and backgrounds. In my short time at Fontbonne, I have become more culturally educated and open-minded thanks to the diversity showcased upon campus.

My favorite part of our mission statement is the last. Indeed, if anything can be done to inspire us to become these well-rounded global citizens, it should be, especially within the precarious political situation we are dealing with today. I encourage you all to examine this statement and apply it to your own lives. It will always be important to assess each situation critically before acting upon our instincts. As we complete our education and embark on our individual journeys into the world, we should make it our priority to serve those around us – we never know what small actions might be changing someone’s life.

Keep moving forward.

xoxo
Jess