Anna

End of the Semester!

by Anna on December 1, 2016

in College Life,First Year at Fontbonne

It seems crazy to think that just three-and-a-half months ago, I was starting my college journey.  Now, it’s almost 1/8 done!  Whoa…that’s a little scary to think about!  If this semester went by quickly, just imagine the remaining seven; before I know it, Fontbonne will be a memory and I’ll be entering yet another new phase of life.

But before I get too carried away with the future, I’d like to focus on the past 16 weeks and how my life has changed.  My professors have not only built a solid higher-education foundation for me with this semester’s classes, although that is very true.  I’ve also built solid relationships with many faculty members, including several I didn’t even have as teachers but may later on.  It’s priceless to have those positive associations both now and in the future — they know I’m a dedicated, hardworking student who is invested in learning for life; I know they care about me, truly want to push me and see me succeed, and are always willing to help in any way possible.  I can’t compare this to other schools because I was always homeschooled, and Fontbonne is my first college experience, but I must say I think you’d be hard-pressed to find — anywhere else — the level of dedication and professionalism all the instructors at Fontbonne have.

I have learned a lot more about myself and Fontbonne’s mission.  I’ve gotten through exams and essays and hard days that, prior to, seemed daunting, scary, or even impossible.  I’ve become more confident and knowledgeable in areas I never imagined I would be.  I’ve worked through difficult problems with logic and persistence, finding joy in finally coming up with the correct solution/answer and knowing I’m capable of doing so.  I’ve laughed a lot and cried a little (hope to keep it that way!).  I’ve been blessed with support and respect from my family.  I’ve learned how to be impeccable — and I mean impeccable — with my time.  I’ve also learned how much of a privilege sleep is — here’s looking at you, long-since-gone 8-hour nights!  Finally, I am not only majoring in dietetics; I’ve officially declared a minor in history, which is not something I expected to do at all, but now I am and I’m so glad!

For all this sentimentality, I sincerely hope I have expressed how glad I am to be a Fontbonne student (bet you never would have guessed).  This semester wasn’t perfect; I wouldn’t expect one to ever be.  But it completely affirmed my decision to attend; there’s no looking back or second-guessing myself!  I’m happy to have a month off with family, relaxing and getting ready for next semester. Christmas is my favorite holiday, so I’ll be that all-December-long celebrator.  I’ve already got the Christmas music in full swing during my commutes…and I’ll be starting my chocolate Advent calendar tomorrow (as I write this…and yes, I do have a chocolate Advent calendar; I don’t think you’re ever too old for one)!  My family and I are also going on a quick ski trip to Colorado at the very end of December/beginning of January, so that’s something I eagerly look forward to.

Whether you’re graduating in a couple short weeks (congratulations!), are midway through college, or completing your first semester ever, here’s some good luck sent your way for finals and best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and break.  Study hard, have fun, and I’ll be back in a month!

Blessings,

~Anna