Anna

Let’s Talk Music…

by Anna on November 7, 2016

in College Life,Extracurricular

Okay, so where do I begin for this post?!  First of all, let’s start with the fact that I am pretty much all over the map as far as favorite artists/genres/etc. goes.  A lot of the time, it depends on my mood — if I’m a little down, or really upbeat, or stressed, or open to anything, it makes for different “musical cravings”.

My time on the road adds up to about 1 1/2 hours per day, so I end up listening to some form of music for upwards of 7 hours every week while I commute to and from campus.  My car has a free year-long subscription to Sirius radio so I’m definitely taking advantage of that through March; anything from French country and Spanish stations to retro (’50s, ’60s, ’70s, ’80s) and classical.  Yeah…like I said, I’m all over the place.  I also often listen to 99.1 JOY! FM, which has some really nice contemporary Christian music, moments in the Word in the mornings, and ever-so-helpful on-time traffic reports that have given me enough warning to change my route more than once.

As far as favorite artists goes, I think it’s a toss-up between Matt Maher and Tenth Avenue North.  I really love the great variety of their songs, so no matter how I’m feeling, there always seems to be one that directly speaks to me.  I’ve also been known to dance really wildly to some of Matt’s songs.  I’m reserved on the outside, but inside there’s a spark of lively, unreserved craziness that will occasionally make its presence known. 😉

Oh!  I can’t leave out Hamilton!  I didn’t know anything about this smash-hit musical before this semester, but we’ve been using the soundtrack for some discussions and an assignment in my history class.  If you would ever like to engage in an endless, deep conversation about any of its songs or underlying meanings, by all means feel free to engage me…or just count the time until the whole shebang comes to the Fox next season!  I’m really looking forward to finally seeing the dancing and visual artistry go along with those catchy lyrics!

So to sum it all up, how about this quote from Victor Hugo (1802-1885)?  “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent”.  Words sung a certain way can be so much more powerful and meaningful than simply spoken.  Happy listening to whatever it is that you find enjoyable!

Blessings,

~Anna