How to Stay on Campus and Still Have a Great Break

by Taylor on November 28, 2016

in Campus Community,College Life,Extracurricular

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! I hope everyone is having a great day with their friends and families. Unfortunately, I did not get to leave campus to go home this year for break, but that’s okay because I’ve found several ways to still have an awesome Thanksgiving! I know I’m not the only one who stayed here for the holiday, and I just want share some tips for having a fun break even if you don’t get to leave.

Take everyone up on offers for Thanksgiving dinner– Once all my St. Louis native friends found out that I would be staying on campus today, they all felt sorry for me and invited me to their family’s Thanksgiving dinners. I got at least 5 invites, so I basically have an entire day of eating lined up, which I am pumped about. It’s also fun to hang out with other people’s families and see how they interact. If someone offers you a totally free meal and the opportunity to hang out with them and their crazy/fun family, take them up on it! You still get to eat, and you’re not sitting in your room alone feeling sorry for yourself that you’re not home.

Find other people stranded on campus and hang out- Even though campus is mostly deserted (and a little bit creepy quiet honestly) you are not the only one around. There are always about 15-20 students who stay over breaks. Find them and do something! You can bond over your mutual boredom. It’s a great opportunity to make friends, and what else do you have to do on this quiet campus anyway?

Do your laundry- I know, I know. This sounds like a super boring tip, but we all know the struggle of 150 students trying to share 4 washers/dryers per building. Now is your moment where no one has left their gross clothes in the washer for the past 3 hours, and you reallyyyy need clean underwear, so you have to hurriedly take them out and put your clothes in before they get back and catch you in the act and get all mad that you’re touching their stuff. Been there. Avoid that now and do laundry while no no one is here.

Stay off of social media- The fear of missing out is so real when you’re sitting on your empty campus and your siblings and cousins keep sending you hilarious snap chats of Thanksgiving dinner back home. Ignore them for now, and find other things to do to entertain/distract yourself. It’s easy to feel sad and miserable when you’re comparing your day to the glamorized version’s of everyone else’s on social media. Remember that most of those posts are fake, and nobody is ever having as much fun on their snap chat stories as they want the world to think. Also, don’t forget to feel #blessed that the one perk of not being home for dinner is getting to dodge awkward and inappropriate questions from extended family members about your personal and or/romantic life. Bet you never see those on your sister’s Snapchat.

Happy Holidays, Fontbonne! Enjoy your break, and I’ll see you all when you get back!

Taylor