Lauren

Music to My Ears

by Lauren on November 3, 2016

I am jazzed to talk about music. Music has gotten me through a lot of trying times. In fact, if you ask anyone on campus, I’m sure they’ll tell you that music has played an important part in their lives in some way.

I’ve always been passionate about music. My parents’ love of music rubbed off on me at an early age, as well as their excellent taste. From my dad’s persistence that I listen to Led Zeppelin to my mother’s never-ending devotion to Joni Mitchell, I’ve been surrounded by great influences.

I was also interested in playing music. My mother picked up that I had a knack for piano. I still play to this day, although not as adamantly. If anything is a testament to my love for crazy, weird sounds it’s the fact that I’m going to pick up a toy piano today after school. I’m not even kidding.

Thanks to modern technology, we have programs like GarageBand where we can make our own tunes and share them with the world.

If I had to pick a specific genre, it would be alternative. But I absolutely love 80s synth, 90s one hit wonders, hip hop, and anything experimental. Some songs that have shaped me as a human are Summer Girls by LFO (you all remember that classic?), Nine in the Afternoon by Panic!At the Disco (when I learned you could play a song on repeat for 8 bazillion hours), House of Pain’s Jump Around, Too Young by Phoenix, Eventually by Tame Impala, and basically anything by ELO. And my absolute favorite album of the moment is Kishi Bashi’s Sonderlust. It’s magical.

Insane in the Brain came on the radio yesterday and I felt so blessed. This post could be so long but I better wrap it up.

Fortunately, DeMarcus and I will be continuing the discussion about music on our podcast, Fontbonne After Dark! Remember to tune in: https://soundcloud.com/user-655012980

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”-Friedrich Nietzsche