Anna

Life as a Commuter

by Anna on November 21, 2016

in College Life,First Year at Fontbonne

If you’ve read some of my past posts, you probably know I’m a commuter.  Overall, this is the best possible way for me to get an exceptional higher education experience and maintain the lifestyle I’m used to at home.  My commute ranges from 35 to 45 minutes one way, depending on traffic, but I enjoy driving, so it’s actually something I look forward to.  A lot of the time, I listen to music (more on that here); sometimes, I will also review some concepts we’ve been covering in class to push myself to think a little harder.

One of the best (in my opinion) parts of being a commuter is that it forces me to be impeccable with time management.  Spending one-and-a-half hours per day on the road means I have that much less time for homework/anything else.  I have to get up every morning early enough to get ready, take care of my horses, and hopefully grab some breakfast before heading out the door for the day.  Mondays and Wednesdays are my long days, so I have to make sure I have a lunch packed in advance for them.  I also have to double-check (every day) that I have all of the materials/books/supplies I need, because I can’t just run back to my room in a matter of minutes.

For all the effort surrounding being a commuter student, I really do like it.  I can still work, see my family and horses, and have the comfort of home around me every morning and evening…but I also experience the wonderful campus community of Fontbonne during the day.  Sometimes being a commuter (and also my work schedule) prevents me from participating in evening activities on campus, but I’ve found some really great events during the day (and lately, I’ve had more than enough homework to keep me occupied all day and night).

My biggest tip for future commuters would be to have good self-discipline.  If you’re not on campus, it can be easy to forget about “college” and “homework”, but you really have to be on top of things at all times if you want to be a good student.  Plan your time and schedule wisely, which includes making not-so-fun decisions (passing up an outing with your friends to study for the upcoming exam is unpopular, but may be necessary).  Most of all, don’t forget to enjoy being a college student!

Blessings,

~Anna