Give Thanks.

by Jess on November 17, 2016

Thanksgiving is my second favorite holiday (Halloween trumps all). I can be inclined to negativity, but something about this time of year seems to bring out all of the positive energy I have. Maybe it’s because I’m constantly thinking about the delicious food that I get to consume at the end of the month, or maybe it’s because Thanksgiving break always marks the end of yet another semester. Whatever the reasoning, I tend to find myself focusing more on the positive aspects of my life (which are many) than the negative (which are the epitome of first-world problems, and few).

My family has a few Thanksgiving traditions. We always put the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade on the television as we put the finishing touches on our afternoon meal. After we’ve eaten our delicious meal and finished the dishes, we pick a Christmas movie to watch – our favorites are It’s a Wonderful Life and Elf. It’s always warm and cozy in the house, everyone curled up with blankets and hot chocolate or cider, and it’s one of the happiest times of the year for me.

So, what am I most thankful for now? My fantastic friends. My health. My loving family. The opportunity that I’ve had to move to St. Louis and further my education while experiencing a different part of the country. The friendships that I made while working in Walt Disney World at the beginning of the year, and the ability to visit them as often as I do. I’m thankful that I can afford food and that I have shelter, because it’s really around this time of year that I realize how many people don’t have those luxuries. On a cheesier note, I’m thankful for coffee (for saving my life during every single semester of school ever).

What are you guys thankful for? I’m definitely SUPER grateful that Thanksgiving break is next week – I need my mom’s homecooked food and my own bed. I hope you all have a fantastic break – eat all the turkey and pumpkin pie you can handle!

xoxo
Jess