Lauren

Why Give Thanks?

by Lauren on November 17, 2016

I always have a lot to be thankful for. But this year was especially trying, as I’m sure it was for many of us. There are lots of different reasons. Some people are losing hope in a world where there is so much injustice. What better way to combat all the ugliness and bitterness than with gratitude, love, and kindness?

Sounds cheesy, I know, but I think it’s what we all need right now.

Thanksgiving itself is already a rough holiday, concerning its origins. Today, we celebrate a modern Thanksgiving where we gather around a table and feast with our closest family and friends. When you were a kid, think about what you were thankful for. I know we went around the table, and we all gave the same run-of-the-mill answer: “I’m thankful for family, friends, food, shelter…etc.”

If we go around the table this year, I’ll most likely start with that. I am eternally grateful for family and friends, a roof over my head, and food and water. This is already so much more than a lot of people have.

But I challenge you to go deeper. This year, I learned a lot about myself. Me and countless of other college students (in particular) struggle with anxiety and depression. In my parent’s day, people weren’t diagnosed for anxiety and depression–it wasn’t recognized. I’m so grateful for all the help and support I’ve received. I’m thankful for doctors and counselors. I’m thankful for my teachers and mentors, for being so understanding and willing to work with me. I’m thankful for my friends who didn’t abandon me in my time of need, but instead made sure to check in on and me daily, sometimes hourly.

It might be hard to give thanks. Sometimes, life isn’t so kind and there’s so much corruption, intolerance, and disrespect in our society. It’s hard to get out from under that cloud, to detach yourself from that mindset. But giving thanks for what we do have is a powerful thing. If you’re thankful for someone, you should let them know. Kindness like that spreads and it’s bigger than any hatred that exists. I’m thankful for Fontbonne and the people in it, who inspire me to pass on that kindness. Ya’ll have been so wonderful to me.

Also, I’m thankful for pancakes and 90s one-hit wonders 🙏