Yuri

It’s Game Time!

by Yuri on November 7, 2016

in Academics,Athletics,College Life

Even though I’ve played sports all my life with friends, I didn’t “officially” play a sport until high school. My sport was football. But the sport that you play doesn’t matter unless you have a great selection of music to accompany it. And naturally when you play football, you listen to Hip Hop/Rap and Hard Rock (AC/DC anyone?!) Why Hip Hop/Rap or Hard Rock? Let’s say you are at the gym working out. Since the instrumental beats are loaded with bass and are repetitive, it helps you with lifting weights, running, or performing any other activity at a consistent and steady pace. Plus, it hypes you up to the point where you feel like an immortal while you are working out (certain songs have such ability). I’m pretty sure that everyone has listened to “Remember The Name” by Fort Minor while working out. These are the only two genres that are the music equivalent to the amount of adrenaline that is inside your body during a workout or playing a sport. But that was back in high school. What about now?

I still have the two genres in my Spotify playlists. I currently listen to almost everything: from 70’s/80’s classic Rock to today’s G-Eazy & Sammy Adams. I fall into the category called “Bass Heads.” If you haven’t deduced that already.. But when the moment strikes I can be listening to the polar opposite. When studying or doing mindless tasks (like copying notes from a PowerPoint), my headphones output the equivalent to getting some work done at a Bread Co. The reason behind this is because when you listen to songs that have no vocals (Classical or Smooth Jazz), you are less likely to get distracted, more likely to be productive and attentive of what you are doing. Until next time guys, stay classy.