How to Be Successful In College

by Taylor on October 4, 2016

in College Life,Uncategorized

I’m currently in my fourth year of college, and by now, I feel like it’s safe to say that I have things (mostly) figured out. It’s taken a lot of trial and error, some tears, and a whole lot of perseverance, but eventually I figured out the things that I needed to have or do to be successful. Below are my top 5 things that I have used to be a successful college student:

1.) Planner- This can be in any version you want, whether it’s a physical planner you take everywhere or the calendar on your phone. Figure out what works for you and use it! On any given day, I have at least 3 assignments, meetings, other obligations that I need to keep track of or get done. I have found that if I don’t write it down, I will forget, and something will not get turned in and I will miss out on something I said I would do. Planners are an awesome way to get yourself organized and productive.

2.) Study Schedule- This is honestly one of the best organizing tips I ever adapted for myself. I will block out days and times to study for specific classes. If I put it on my schedule, I am way more likely to do it. I have also found that if I give myself a time frame for how long I have to study that I don’t feel as overwhelmed by it.

3.) Establish a relationship with your professors- This is one of the best things I have done in college. Your professors are there to help you both during and after college. They are full of information and resources to help you be successful, so make sure you are talking to them regularly. I know that now I have gone to my professors lately to help me with all kinds of things coming up, like applying for grad school and figuring out what comes next once I graduate. They want to talk to you too, so get out there and establish a relationship.

4.)Proper Exercise and Nutrition- Let’s face it: college is insanely stressful. I often feel overwhelmed and in over my head, especially when a big test or project is coming up. All that stress can have the potential to make you run down, which can make you sick. Being sick makes things worse, and makes you even less likely to ace that test or get everything done. Part of keeping yourself from getting sick is being healthy. That means getting enough exercise (which actually releases endorphins into your system and lowers your stress levels)  and fueling your body in the right way to optimize your performance. I personally try to exercise every day, whether its as organized as blocking out a time to run, do yoga, or lift, or even something simple, like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walking the extra long way back to my apartment after class. I move every day. As far as eating, I like to eat things that make me feel good and don’t weigh me down. This includes lots of fresh fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds, whole grains, lean meats like chicken and fish, and lots and lots of water. These foods not only make me feel good, but also give me the energy to push through assignments and classes without crashing.

5.) Me Time-A big part of college is being able to manage stress and not freak out. I think it’s really important to carve out time in your busy schedule to do something for yourself every day that doesn’t involve school and can help you wind down. Some examples are taking a nap, hanging out with friends, exercising, reading, watching tv/Netflix, calling your family, whatever. Find something to do that is just for you that makes you happy and make it a part of your routine. It both gives you something to look forward to, and helps you de-stress.

I hope you find these tips helpful! Have a great weekend everyone.

Taylor