Claire

Inspiring Education

by Claire on October 12, 2016

in Academics,After College,Career Paths

As I am a sophomore in college, there are a variety of educators who have influenced me. One of the most impactful teachers was an english instructor my senior year of high school.

Thinking my writing skills were at the level they needed to be at, I was shocked when I did not receive the grade I desired on my first few papers. I spoke to the teacher after classes and he essentially told me that he would tell that I was confident in my writing, but he told me I was writing for the assignment. I always thought that was the purpose of writing in school: just to complete the assignment.

However, he taught me the importance of writing for what I felt and what I was passionate about in the assignment. He encouraged me to go about each assignment with a fresh set of eyes, not to just find the easy topic to talk about. In doing so, I learned to be confident in my own opinions and taking the more difficult route if it is what I feel strongly in.

Moreover, this experience taught me so much about not settling for what I think is right at the time and to go for the strange, unique, and unexpected solution to a problem. This teacher challenged me and encouraged me to be the best version of myself and to never settle.

xoxo,

Claire