Anna

Happy Halloween!

by Anna on October 26, 2016

in College Life,Extracurricular

Okay, so it’s not Halloween quite yet…I know!  But if you’re not a celebrator of the holiday itself, it’s not a huge deal.  I prefer to think of it as part of the whole fall experience — a specific day to go all out and celebrate fall.  I am not a fan of haunted houses, witches, skeletons, ghosts, or any of the other holiday-specific traditions.  It’s not because I am scared of them, but as a Christian I just can’t say they are in line with my beliefs.  This is just my personal opinion…I think it’s totally fine if you have fun participating in these activities, especially if it’s an opportunity to be outside and enjoy the weather!

With that said, my previous Halloweens have included hayrides, bonfires, and…trick-or-treating with my horses!  Where I live is not conducive (or even possible) for trick-or-treating, unless you want to walk two miles and only visit three or four houses.  My church always had a really nice event when I was growing up called Trunk or Treat, where people would decorate the trunks of their cars with a theme and hand out candy, so I still had the classic experience of dressing up and having some Halloween fun.

Now that I’m older and have horses, though, I’ve changed up the game a little bit.  Last Halloween was the inaugural kick-off of “Equine Trick-or-Treating”, and the plan is to have an exciting second year to continue the tradition.  It’s the exact same concept as human trick-or-treating, except I don’t really dress up my horses (I could, though…hmm).  They have to perform a trick before they get their treat!  Blondie can smile, and Pearl will smile, kneel, bow, do the Spanish walk, count, and climb up on a rock or steps.  I think I’m going to make them Rice Krispie treats this year, but they’d be happy with anything — carrots, apples, marshmallows, safe fruits and vegetables, or special horse cookies and treats.  Yes, they’re a bit spoiled…but they deserve it. 🙂

Stay safe and enjoy the day, whatever your plans include.  (yes, it’s a regularly scheduled day at Fontbonne, but rumor has it there are multiple bowls of candy around campus…..just saying……)  Happy Halloween!

~Anna