Mari

My Favorite Teacher

by Mari on October 19, 2016

in Academics,Organizations, Activities & Events

One of my fondest memories of high school is having my favorite teacher Mrs. Cascone as my teacher and counselor. I first met Mrs. Cascone during my sophomore year, she was my English teacher. Not only did I improve my English skills that year, I opened myself up to her and her impactful advice as a counselor. During my junior year of high school, I applied to be in National Honor Society in my school. I received the news that I did not make it in. To be quite honest, I was so devastated. I felt crushed, just as I had started my junior year. I felt like my goals I had already set for that year weren’t valid anymore.

I went and talked to Mrs. Cascone about how I was feeling. She could tell that I was in a slump, so she gave me the advice to work all of junior year to build up my leadership qualities. She advised me to start my own club. After thinking about it, I decided to start my own Spanish Club in my high school. I saw the need for Latino students in my high school to feel included. Even though I have left my high school, the Spanish Club at my high school now has students in it. My senior year, I made it into National Honor Society thanks to Mrs. Cascone. Mrs. Cascone has always been there for me, as a teacher, counselor, and mentor. She has always been a cheerleader for my successes and a shoulder to cry on for my failures. She saw the quality of leadership in me even when I did not see it in myself. Mrs. Cascone built up my confidence so I could succeed in my internship with Bank of America Student Leaders and at Fontbonne University. Due to Mrs. Cascone, I am the treasurer for a new student organization, the Latino Hispanic Union at Fontbonne.

The most admirable characteristic of Mrs. Cascone is her humbleness. She is always wearing herself out trying to help every student with their problems. She rarely takes time for herself. She always schedules time out of her day to check in on me. Even though she is in Kansas City and I am in St. Louis, she still manages to shoot me a meaningful text every once in a while. Mrs. Cascone made me the woman I am today. I wouldn’t be at Fontbonne University if it weren’t for her!

“One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.”-Malala Yousafzai

Take care,

Mari

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Virginia Loya October 19, 2016 at 9:29 am

Wow, Mari, if I was Mrs. Cascone, I’d feel like a MILLION BUCKS!

Enjoyed reading this.

Love You!

Virginia Loya October 19, 2016 at 10:21 am

Mari, if I was Mrs. Cascone, I’d be feeling like a MILLION BUCKS right about now!

Love U

Mia October 19, 2016 at 10:40 am

That was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing that with us. Sometimes we forget how much impact we have on each other. I could say the same for your grandma and grandpa for always supportung and feeding me all those years!