Anna

Five Things for College Success

by Anna on October 4, 2016

in Academics,College Life,First Year at Fontbonne

This is a subjective list of what I think is important or even essential to college life.  You may have some different thoughts, and that’s okay!  Maybe you’ll find one or two items from this list that you hadn’t thought of before.  Just remember, everyone is different and what works for one person may not for another — that’s okay!  A common theme for all college students, though, should be organization.  I know there are various methods for achieving this, but here’s what works for me.

• Binder & Color-Coded Dividers:  This is so important for keeping all your important papers (and trust me, you’ll get plenty) organized and easy to find!  I like a binder with a clear sleeve on the front so I can put my schedule in it for quick reference, a campus map, and anything else I might need to have ease of access to.  Inside the binder, I have tabbed dividers in five distinct colors for each class — all of my psychology-related work is in the red tab, my history documents are in the blue tab, etc.  This way, I never have an issue finding information when I need to, and it’s really helpful when I’m studying for a quiz or test to have everything in the same place.  Saving time is valuable for a college student!
  •   Folder for Homework:  While my binder is great, I reserve it for the syllabuses, notes, in-class activities and discussions, and any hand-outs or readings.  All of my homework, from essays to math problems, goes in a separate folder reserved only for it.  Then when my professor asks for the work due, it’s readily accessible and there’s no chance of me accidentally giving the wrong paper.
  • Laptop:  If you take notes on a laptop, you obviously have one!  I prefer to take handwritten notes because it helps me engage and think more critically, but I still use my laptop plenty.  Many instructors have information or homework only available on Blackboard, and it’s a lot easier to read an article or take a quiz on a laptop than a small phone screen.  You’ll also want a laptop for writing papers, and Fontbonne offers Microsoft Office for free to all of its students.  Can you do all of this in the computer lab in the library?  Of course!  But there’s going to be times where you’ll want to be in a cozier setting, like your dorm room or bedroom, and then that laptop will come in handy.  Go ahead and spend a little more money on a good one if you can; it will pay off.
  • Highlighters/Pens/Pencils:  Yeah, it’s probably pretty obvious…but it’s worth reminding!  Always have at least two pens, two pencils, an eraser, and a highlighter with you.  You’ll have your bases covered for note-taking and emphasizing important ideas.  There’ll be no chance of panic setting in when you’re taking a test and your pencil runs out.  Also, even if you take notes on your computer, you’ll eventually need to write something down in class.  Be prepared!
  • Snacks & Water:  You have plenty of options for purchasing food on campus, I’m not denying that.  But if you’re ever in a rush to get to your next class and you don’t have time to grab lunch, you’ll probably be hungry before class ends!  Find something with nutritional value, like a Macrobar (my favorite), that fits in your backpack and can be eaten quickly.  And always have a bottle of water with you to drink in and between classes.  Staying hydrated and fueled will keep your energy up so you can pay attention in class!

Blessings,

~Anna