As a commuter student, my life on campus is definitely different from residents.  I am working most evenings, so any events going on at that time are most likely not going to work for my schedule.  Fortunately, Fontbonne still offers plenty of opportunities to be involved during the day and if you are limited on time.

Just a few days ago, the Student Association for Family & Consumer Sciences (SAFCS) held its first meeting of the semester.  My major, Dietetics, is in that department, so I am going to be making a point of attending the organization’s meetings and events when I am able to.  This isn’t just an opportunity to be around other students with similar degrees (although that’s great since I’ll be spending the next four years with many of them!), it’s also a wonderful service opportunity.  SAFCS is really dedicated to community involvement.  We’ve already baked the first batch of casseroles for St. Patrick’s Center in St. Louis, and further service events are coming up in the next few months.  If you’re a student majoring in an FCS department degree, or you just enjoy helping and serving others, joining SAFCS is a fantastic idea.  I’m looking forward to getting to know more of the members!

I’d also like to add something important — don’t over commit!  Make sure you have enough time for studying and homework (since that is the primary reason you are at college…right?!), sleep (it’s REALLY important, even if you don’t think so), work (if you have a job),  and any other commitments you might have.  Sacrificing one of these for a campus activity might be okay one or two times, but when they’re constantly being pushed to “second priority status”, problems start happening!  Learning to say “no” is just as important as agreeing to something.  It teaches you to set limits, prioritize, and make tough decisions.

Ultimately, what’s my advice?  Work hard as a student and try to be involved in at least one or two clubs or activities on campus per semester.  Find something that hits your niche, whether you’re into sports, campus ministry, service, culture, or just finding some new friends to hang out with.  Good luck and have fun!

Blessings,

Anna

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Courtney Courtney September 19, 2016 at 6:11 pm

I am so happy you joined SAFCS Anna! I can’t wait to get to know you more!