Terragan

Confessions of a Commuter

by Terragan on September 13, 2016

in College Life,Extracurricular

Hi everyone,

I hope that this blog finds you in a good spot on thing we call life. I wanted to highlight something that residential students might have difficulty understanding, just how hard being a commuter to college can be.

Now, I’ve been a commuter the previous two years at Fontbonne and over this wide span of time, I’ve seen and felt both sides of student engagement. Having come to Fontbonne as a freshman with the mindset of ‘I’m just going to head to class and come back home’, and that’s what I did. Not much involvement there. The trip to school and back was a discouraging factor, homesickness might have been a factor. I had to overcome that confining mentality.
Things have changed, thankfully. I’ve become much more involved and have made friends with people the old me wouldn’t have sprung for. I’m involved with: Griffin 101, Disney Leadership Program, Male Leadership Summit, you get the idea. I’ve grown out of the ‘I’m only a commuter’ attitude and have found that being open to staying on campus for events and to make real friends made Fontbonne a second home and not just a place for classes.

I hope this can help other commuters want to get more involved on campus. The rewards of friendship and growth as a person make sticking around after the bell are more than worth it.

Thank you,

Terragan