Mari

5 Ways to Overcome Homesickness!

by Mari on September 13, 2016

in First Year at Fontbonne,In Saint Louis

Hello!

I know for a fact that I can’t be the only student at Fontbonne who gets a little homesick every once in a while. Even though I am only about 4 hours away from home, I still miss my family and friends in Kansas City. I have come up with five ways for you to overcome homesickness:

1. Send postcards!

I know, you may be thinking that postcards are old and outdated. I actually have just started sending postcards this year. I have been trying to collect postcards from various cities I have visited. It is always fun to write a small note to a family member or friend you haven’t talked to in a while.

img_6589 Here are some of my postcards I am sending.
  1. Explore St. Louis!

One of the reasons why I came to Fontbonne is because I think that St. Louis is a beautiful city. From taking a walk through Forrest Park to eating on the Loop to going to the St. Louis Zoo, there’s plenty of FREE things to do in STL.

img_6493 On the STL tour with FISA, making new friends!
  1. Decorate your dorm!

You want to make sure that when you come back to your dorm after a long day, it feels like home. I would suggest printing out lots of pictures of your family and friends. I hung up blue string lights from Target with some of my favorite pictures. Be sure to leave room for the new pictures with the memories that are coming this year!

img_6588

1. Keep a journal!

I started a journal when I was a sophomore in high school. Whatever mood I am in; I try to make an entry at least once a week (I want to do better though!). Journaling is a great way to relieve stress or to talk about a great day that you had. It’s also fun to look at your past entries and to see how much you have grown!

Here is my journal with a silhouette of my favorite fairytale, Peter Pan. Here is my journal with a silhouette of my favorite fairytale, Peter Pan.
  1. Make new friends!

As cliché as this sounds, try to go out of your way to meet new people. Most likely there is someone on campus who is feeling just as homesick as you are. I know that it is easy to stay cooped up in your dorm room all day and just watch Netflix. If you want to catch up on Gilmore Girls or Orange Is The New Black (like me), try to invite people in your dorm and binge watch together. Don’t forget the candy and popcorn.

College Colors Day! Making memories at College Colors Day.

I hope these tips help you as we all begin this school year. If you are feeling lonely or homesick, feel free to reach out to me. I am always open to making new friends!

“Make room for happiness tomorrow. If you make room for it, it’ll show up.”-Lin Manuel Miranda

Take care,

Mari

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Adriana Adriana September 20, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Nice journal!