Lauren

How I Tackle Finals Week

by Lauren on April 27, 2016

While I’m writing this post about Finals Week in particular (since it’s on the horizon) this generally applies to every week for me. Never in my life have I made so many to-do lists. To-do lists might be a bit cliche and I never used to make them–but I found a really cool way to make them that helps me a lot. And it’s just one simple thing!

Here is a to-do list I made a couple of weekends ago. I know it’s tempting to push all of your work to Sunday but spreading out your tasks across the weekend(week) will make it so much easier on you. There’s some buffer room if you don’t want to complete all the day’s tasks. It can run over into the next day if need be.

WP_20160422_13_53_50_Pro

But what really helps is having a “done” list as well. After I complete a task, instead of just crossing it off I add it to another list. This gives me a boost of confidence, as the done list is a list of all that I’ve¬†accomplished.

A few other things as finals week approaches:

• Stay hydrated! I struggle with this one as I’m prone to drinking cup after cup of coffee to fuel my late nights. It’s also easy to forget to drink water so make sure you always have a supply nearby!
  • Consistency. Find a place that works for you and surround yourself with things that will help you focus. I have a spot at Fontbonne and at home where I go to get work done.¬†I also have a Spotify playlist with both mellow and upbeat songs to help me focus and re-energize.
  • Take breaks. If I sit in my spot for long, I get acclimated and I don’t want to get up. Remember to get up and stretch and walk around! Or, what about a change of scenery?
  • Fun stuff. During finals week, it’s serious business. You feel like you can’t afford to do anything other than study and homework. I make sure to include something fun on my to-do list. I treat it like any other task–a must. So spend some time doing something you like to destress. (For instance, writing for fun really gives me peace of mind. I jotted it down on my list above).

Good luck to all! I hope some of these tips helped. Give the “done” list a try. I think you’ll find it pretty satisfying.