Lauren

Spring Thesis Show

by Lauren on April 25, 2016

in Academics,Career Paths

This past weekend on Friday night I had the pleasure and privilege of witnessing an absolutely amazing Senior Thesis show at Fontbonne’s Art Gallery. Some of my close friends’ work was displayed and even though I had  a sneak peek of their work prior to the show, seeing it opening night was an amazing experience.

And it was jam-packed! What a successful turn-out. The work itself included a wide variety of styles and mediums from painting to photography to graphic design to ceramics and really everything in-between. Each senior is expected to compile a body of work for the show that showcases their skills and really gives viewers insight into what their art is about. It’s really an expression of that artist as a person. Each piece has its own meaning for each artist–be it aesthetic, political, or emotional.

It really got me excited for my senior show next year. Photography teacher Denise gave me some great advice: don’t wait. There are always some complications when it comes to hanging/printing/framing/matting your work. With my Junior Synthesis show I was pretty down to the wire. It helped me realize the sooner I frame my pieces the better–which means that the work needs to be completed (or at least tangible) in order to frame it.

My advice for artists who might be in my position is this–don’t wait on an idea! This semester has really been a time of enlightenment for me. When I have an idea, I write it down or draw it out right away. Now I have a whole collection of ideas and somewhere to start. And, when it comes time to apply for internships + jobs, you’ll be ready with a portfolio full of creative and different ideas.