Claire

When I grow up

by Claire on April 13, 2016

in Academics,Career Paths

When I Grow Up….

When I was growing up, I always wanted to be a banker. I honestly don’t really know why, but that’s what I always wanted to be. When my grade school teachers took all of the students on a field trip to the village area at the Magic House, I “applied” to be a banker. I knew banking meant that I got to do math and I really liked math at the time. I was formulate enough to be the “Banker Manager” at the Magic House for the field trip. We cashed all the other works play pay checks and taught the students how to fill out a deposit slip and write a check. This is one of my fondest memories from my childhood.

Continuing into middle and high school, I always excelled at math so I figured banking would be a safe bet and something that would always be needed. However, once I got into more complicated math, banking seemed less and less appealing to me.

After taking many more math classes, I realized I liked and wanted to continue with math, but not banking. My middle school opinion was that I did not want to sit at a computer all day with a calculator doing math. I found a passion for fashion as one may say, and out went the banker passion.

I still am fond of math and honestly find myself into crunching numbers quiet frequently. I am thankful for my initial interest because now I know how to calculate interest rates and things like that.

Now, as written in other posts of mine, I study fashion merchandising and I am hoping to be able to use my math skills as a buyer one day!

Whatever you decided to do as a career, even if you do not know when you make it to college, know you have time and people to help you. But, most importantly, pick a career that is going to be fulfilling and challenge you as well as maintain your interest for a few decades!

Xoxo,
Claire