Lauren

When I Grow Up…

by Lauren on April 13, 2016

in Academics,Career Paths

Interestingly enough, in 2nd grade my teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. And then she had us write a letter to our future selves and include our future job description. Then she said she would mail it to us some years down the road. I received the letter years later and past me wanted to be…a police officer! It’s a noble profession but I definitely don’t think I could do it today.

Growing up, I never had a realistic grasp on what I wanted to be or what I wanted to do. I had aspirations to be a police officer and then as the years went on I switched to dolphin trainer and then veterinarian. I love animals so a career path that included physically touching soft, furry animals seemed like a perfect fit. Then things started to get serious and I realized careers required hard work, dedication, and motivation.

Math, science, literature…I struggled with all of them. If I had to choose one, it would be literature (since I loved to read) but I wasn’t really passionate about it. When I found out I could turn my hapless doodling and drawing and creating into a career, I was ecstatic!

Even now, I can’t recall exactly when I made that decision to be an artist. In a manner of speaking, art chose me. It was the only thing I considered myself good at and it was something I loved to do. Art is a field that offers so many possibilities–and that’s the reason it works so well for me. Today, I have a better grasp on what I want to do but I also firmly believe that nothing is certain. There are so many different paths to take. Right now I’m a graphic designer but in a few years time, who knows?

As long as my job description requires me to create–anything!–then I’m satisfied.