My Fontbonne Day!

by Taylor on April 18, 2016

in College Life,Organizations, Activities & Events

As you all know, last week we had our annual Fontbonne Day, a day where campus shuts down and faculty, students, and staff go out into the community and serve. This year I had the opportunity to go out to Equine Assisted Therapy (EAT)  in Wildwood, Missouri with Fontbonne’s Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences. EAT provides equine, or horse, therapy to people with developmental and/or physical disabilities. EAT has many horses, a few donkeys, and even some cats running around. Our main job for the day was to help clean, which included not only helping to clean and organize the buildings and property, but also the horses! Since it is finally starting to warm up, it was important to give the horses baths after a long winter. Cleaning a horse is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, but they were all so sweet and gentle, so that made it easier! Once we cleaned the horses we gave them “manicures” or painted their hoofs with a protective coat to help protect them from the weather and land. This was definitely a new and unique experience for me, and I am so happy that I got to experience EAT and meet all the wonderful horses during my time volunteering! What did you do for Fontbonne Day?

Here’s me and Cassie, another dietetics student, and Chewy, one of the horses we bathed!

Have a great week griffins!

Taylor