Patricia

advice to my pre-Fontbonne self

by Patricia on April 28, 2016

in Academics,Career Paths

The most important thing anyone should know in college is to plan your career junior year! You should start looking at internships before than, but definitely take the time during Junior year to figure out what you want to do. If you wait until Senior year, it may be too late. For example, I am a Junior now and I found out that in order to get a schalorship to get my MBA I need to do more leadership and community service. Right now I have a year to do it. Had a waited until next year I would have been out of time since the application is due in October.

Besides that, it took a long time to figure out what kind of job that I want. I went to the career fair hosted at Fontbonne and did not see any jobs that I liked. Being a Buisness major, there are many jobs that are not of interest to me. But then I found a company that I was interested in: Nordstrom! I applied for the internship and they gave it to me next summer. Had I waited until next year I would be a year behind!

It is very fulfilling to know what I am going to do after I graduate. Many people take a year off and then decide what they are going to do. I would advise anyone not to do that.