Claire

Advice to Pre-Fontbonne Me (and You!)

by Claire on April 27, 2016

in First Year at Fontbonne

Dear younger Claire (and incoming freshman),

Thinking back just 9 months ago before I started school at Fontbonne, I expected something totally different. I excepted teachers that didn’t care, huge classrooms and having to stay up until 3 am every night. When I got to Fontbonne, I was mistaken and for good reason. The faculty and staff of Fontbonne actually care about the students. Although some may disagree, if you put your studies first and ask for help, they will go above and beyond to make sure you have all the tools you need to be successful. Here are some of the things I would tell myself before coming to Fontbonne, after being here for almost a full year now.
  • Join more clubs and be more involved. Yes, having a super busy schedule is tough, but you make more friends and have more items to look back on as involvement from college.
  • Try something new. Step out of your comfort zone and make new friends. Say hi to someone or tell them that you like their shirt.
  • Go to class. Don’t miss it just because you don’t feel like it. Go and sit there because you’re wasting your money every class you don’t go to.
  • Eat healthy. Yes, pizza and ice cream are great every now and then, but you have to take care of your body to be mentally and physically healthy.
  • Make friends. I know this sounds silly, but put yourself out there and you can meet some pretty cool people.
  • Go for it. Whatever it is, if there is something you want, you won’t know until you try it! I randomly decided to go to a meeting about being a student blogger, and look where I am now.
Moral of the story: This is a time to reinvent yourself so become the person you have always wanted to be. You may say “what if I fail?” But I ask you, what if you succeed? You can never know until you try and you are your biggest limitation. Try new things, meet new people, be adventurous, have fun.
xoxo,
Claire