Trip to Jefferson City

in Academics,College Life,Organizations, Activities & Events

State Capitol-Jefferson City State Capitol-Jefferson City

When I first heard the news that I would be visiting Jefferson City for advocacy day, I was really excited and eager to learn more about the legislature and the way policy worked. This was an eye opening experience for me because I was able to see how mean, sarcastic and egotistical some of the members of congress can be. In this field (social work), even though people are rude and nasty to us we must remain calm and diligent in our efforts to advocate for and empower others. Having the opportunity to speak to a lot of the representatives, and even just being in their presence was a very exciting feeling. Some of them even stopped us to ask why we were there and what did we think about what was going on. Some of the men were very rude; they didn’t hold doors, didn’t allow ladies to walk through small hallways first, or even speak in some instances. I feel that even though these men have and hold a lot of power, which still doesn’t subject them from treating people like human beings. We were given a tour of the building, able to speak with multiple government officials, and had the opportunity to sit in on the house while they debated over passing or vetoing bills. There was so much history present as I walked the halls of the capitol and I truly enjoyed looking at all of the paintings and sculptures that were available for observation. The past  years at Fontbonne have granted me some of the most rewarding and experimental times of my life.

Capitol Rotunda Capitol Rotunda