…And What Am I Studying?

in Academics,Career Paths

Hello Fellow and Future Griffins

When I started at Fontbonne in 2012 I was determined to be an engineer and wanted to work on roller coasters.  I was in the dual degree program with Fontbonne and Washington University, on my road to becoming the next roller coaster designer.  It was my sophomore year of college before I realized that engineering was not for me.  I was starting to have unhealthy habits such as staying up too late, putting off studying, and even some nightso crying for hours because I was so unhappy.  I was in an accounting class and really liked that so I thought I would try that out.Life-Lessons-From-Engineers-1I switched to Accounting that Spring semester.  I was so excited and knew that accounting would be a great fit for me. I love numbers and I love working on tedious tasks.  So I thought I was set and ready to go, to be happy, to find a career and know what I was going to do forever.  But like all college students, I got bored of that too.  Some students change their major more than once before they find what they want to do.onlyacctsposterThen I started contemplating my life decisions and had a sort of mid-life crisis.  I did not know what I wanted to do, all I knew was that I got the most joy from being Student Government President; I loved trainings, retreats, meetings and all the stuff that comes with being a student leader.  After having intentional conversations with my SGA advisor, I came to the conclusion that a career in Higher Education and Student Affairs was the road I wanted to take.  So I did not have to change my major for this, which was convenient since I was a junior in college already.  I am finishing up my Accounting and Business Administration degree now and have plans to attend graduate school to get my master’s degree.Leadership-quote-01If you can take anything from this blog post please know that you should always follow your dreams.  Changing your major is never a bad decision if it is what is best for you.  You can do whatever you set your mind to.  And last but not least, always follow your heart and chase your dreams.

XoXo

-D