Quinn

“What are You Going to Do with a Professional Writing Major?”

by Quinn on February 25, 2016

in Academics,After College,First Year at Fontbonne

“Why professional writing?” Or, “Why an English major?” These are common questions I am constantly asked by my friends, coaches and family members. I know the general consensus about English classes is typically a negative one so why in the world would I want to spend four years of my life studying it? Well, I for one have always loved writing, learning about the English language and improving my writing skills while doing so. My passion for writing developed at a young age when I was about 5 or 6 when I began to write dozens of short stories in my spiral notebooks. The amount of notebooks that I went through as a child was more than likely upwards to about 100. Most of these relics are scattered around my house and I’ll find myself from time to time picking one or two up and flipping through it to relive my childhood. My mother and my great-grandmother were great influences in my life who always encouraged me to continue my writing and would always ask to see my most recent works. As I advanced in age so did my writings. I soon began to have aspirations of writing lengthy novels and plots for movies and television shows and would always write these ideas down. Mainly due to a short attention span, none of these ideas ever took form. I soon shortened the lengths of the ideas down and began to write short stories and poems. Throughout high school and college, I have a strange enjoyment to writing essays and other various writing prompts that I’ve been assigned. This love for writing is what led to me becoming a blogger and writing these different posts.

Now, another major question I am always asked is, “What are you going to do with a professional writing degree?” I’ve always known what I was going to do with a professional writing degree and this is to continue writing. I have aspirations of working in the publication industry and potentially at a magazine company. One day I dream to have my own magazine or sort of publication where I would write about the things that interest me. I am working on getting internships at magazine companies where I can continue this dream forward that I have been living since a young boy.