Tips for finals

by Fontbonne University on December 7, 2015

So finals are up and this week is almost the last lap of the semester. I believe that all of us have, in one way or another, some struggles to study for exams, especially holiday is so close. Nevertheless, we still need to pass through this period, so that we would not have to worry about GPA or having to retake classes after the long break.

As a master of last-minute studying, I have a few tips for those who work well under time pressure like me.

1. Procrastinate, but not too much: You should go to sleep early at night, but wake up a little early in the morning. I know a lot of us are not morning people, but still. I’m not telling you to wake up early and study, because for some of us that would not be efficient. Instead, take that little extra time in the morning to procrastinate. For me this is extremely efficient because at some point of time during doing work, my brain would lose focus and wander around for a while. To keep it focus all the time during a timed assessment, I procrastinate first. I go online, talk to my friends, listen to music, watch some short video clips. After a while, I would get bored and would be scared because I have not done my work. And then when I go and do it, I can finish it in one blink, because I’m fully focus.
  2. Sleep, but not too much: Again, go to sleep early and wake up early. Take a 6-hour sleep at night,¬†one 30-minute power nap after lunch. You need at least 6 hours for a fresh mind, and 30 minutes to refresh it. That’s what science says and I’m the living proof for this. Lunch can make you extremely sleepy. Just go to sleep, because if you study, it would not be effective, either.
  3. Take breaks. Lots of breaks: I know when it comes to the very last minute, we would panic and study nonstop. But do you realize that even when you “don’t stop,” you actually find the information harder to memorize, the sentences harder to understand? That is because when you have too many things that you are worried and thinking about, your brain would not be able to concentrate. Take it easy, take a deep breath, drink some ice water if you are not sick, send a snapchat to your friends telling how miserable you are. And then open your revision assignments and do it in one go.

These are the things that I found effective for myself. If you are struggling, try these methods. If you are not, good for you.

Happy study!