Preparing for Finals

by Alumni Posts on December 7, 2015

in Academics,College Life

It’s a bittersweet time of the year! As students, we have finals to study for and our schedules start filling up during the month of December… but, on a brighter note, the end of the semester is near and so is the winter holiday 🙂
Since finals and some level of stress are in students’ inevitable futures, why not learn how to best cope with them?
Here are three practices to do while studying for finals:

1) Roll with the chaos. Finals are going to happen whether you’re pulling your hair out or calm and collected. Which sounds better? Keep a positive perspective in mind if you become negative about finals week. Get enough sleep, eat regularly and be sure to make time for yourself over the weekend so when you do study, it’s more tolerable!

2) Eat balanced. Sorry, as a dietetics student I had to put this one. Although I know part of it is likely a placebo effect, I tend to eat what I think of as “brain foods” before finals. Eggs keep me fuller longer and contain choline which is good for cognitive function**. Therefore, I like to switch my morning oatmeal to eggs during finals week. Walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds and salmon have omega-3s, which fight inflammation and has been linked to brain health*, so I incorporate these foods in my meals and snacks if possible. Lastly, if you’re a coffee drinker- be sure to drink your coffee this weekend! The caffeine will help keep you alert and focused. If you don’t drink caffeine, just remember to stay hydrated! Dehydration can lead to a feeling of sluggishness aka brain fog!

3) Take frequent breaks. You might be tempted to study for hours at a time, but you will actually retain more information if you take a break at least once per hour! Stand up, make coffee/tea, have a snack, take a walk or do a mindless Buzzfeed quiz… Whatever it is… Give that brain a rest! You deserve it. One easy way to schedule breaks is to set an alarm on your phone, that way you don’t have to watch the clock which can be a huge distraction to effective studying.

Currently taking a break from studying? Read Buzzfeed’s 33 Stages of Finals Week 🙂 Good luck to everyone on finals & Happy Holidays!

References:
*http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil-alpha-linolenic-acid/background/hrb-20059372
**http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782876/