A Time To Be Thankful

by Fontbonne University on November 23, 2015

Thanksgiving is literally only a few days away, and it feels like time has flown since the beginning of the semester. Out in the stores it looks more like Christmas, which I’ve always found a little sad. Thanksgiving should be celebrated with just as much fanfare. To me, Thanksgiving has always been mostly about family. My family is very big on cooking, we love making things from scratch and trying new recipes. The ability to be with my family, cooking, catching up, trading stories, is one of the most precious things in life. It’s certainly one of the main things I’m thankful for every holiday season.

It’s hard sometimes, to be 5 plus hours away from everyone, but at the same time it makes me appreciate the time we do spend together that much more. Everyone in my family seems to have a job at every gathering to help get the meal prepared, even if it’s as simple as staying out of my grandma’s way when she’s pulling something out of the oven. The food is always creative and delicious, especially my grandma’s five star desserts. I’m pretty sure she could’ve been a pastry chef in a past life. We are very fortunate to have a full table for the holidays. I’m also thankful for every moment I get to see my grandpa; he’s almost 90 now, and if a man could live forever on stubbornness, I believe he would. He also tells some of the best stories from when he was younger and served in the army during the Korean war. Our family is blessed to have my grandparents as the heads of the family.

My family also loves to have a few good games of cards after food and a short nap. We play a lot of different kinds of card games and usually there’s more laughing and yelling across the table than anything, it’s the best kind of uproar. At some point, one of my aunts or my cousin will get too loud and my grandpa yells at them to be quiet, it always makes us laugh more. That’s not to say we don’t have our family drama and our bickering moments, but at the end of the day we all know how important family is and how thankful we are for each other.