Recommended readings: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl

by Fontbonne University on November 4, 2015

Disclaimer: Don’t worry, I will try not to spoil.

Though this book is really famous, I believe that there are still a lot of people have not read it. I, too, once thought that the work was too mainstream, so I refrained from reading it. However, as I was browsing through the “50 best quotes from literature,” a quote which was rather simple somehow stroke my heart. I suddenly had the urge to read the piece badly. The quote was:

“In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart.”

Call me naive, but I did immediately ordered the book on Amazon (for $4 only!) and got it the next day. I finished the book in 3 days of (almost) non-stop reading. And I will read it again when I’m all done with this pile of assignments.

For those who don’t know, the book is the publication of Anne’s Frank diary. Anne was a Jew living in the time of WWII, in which Hitler and his Nazis took down as many Jews as possible just because.

The diary started when Anne and her family had not gone into hiding. She was 13, young, having fun with her beloved family and friends. And what had to come came. Her family “ran away” to hide themselves from the German army’s search for Jews. Anne talked a lot about things going on those days and vented a lot of her emotions. Through the piece, I felt so amazed and touched that a young girl’s heart can be so kind, so full of empathy and gratefulness despite the hardship that SUCH a young girl had to go through. She was not extraordinary, however. She behaved like any teenage girl who had to deal with adults’ “nonsense,” family conflicts and feelings for “more than friendships but not lovers” relationships.

Every detail in her diary seems so normal, but the kindness she was not trying to show was crystal clear. And what happened afterwards made me feel so lost. If only a happier ending could happen to those people, including, especially such kind souls as Anne’s.

All that being said, read this book sometime. It would bring peace to your mind, for Anne’s heart is kind.