Focusing on the Positive

I know from experience that it’s easy to get caught up in the stress of everyday life. From this, we tend to focus on all the negatives that we perceive are out to get us, when truthfully we have so much to be thankful for. A professor once gave me a bit of advice that really stuck with me. What they told me and how I utilize their advice to this day, truly impacts how I feel on a day to day basis. This was what they told me:
“When you look for the good in every day, you will find good. When you look for the negative, you will surely find negative.”

This is not to say that no situation, person or thing in the world will ever be unfair, unkind, unlucky or unjust. Life events will happen that bring about joy, happiness and bliss, and others may bring grief, sorrow and heartache. That said, it is ultimately up to you how you react to every situation or circumstance you are given in life. Life is not going to hand you the key to happiness on a silver platter. You already have the key, and it is your job to use that key to unlock happiness within yourself.
In light of all that is happening in the nation and all that you may be dealing with today, I challenge you to take a few deep breaths and focus on the good in your day. When your brain wants to dwell on all that is wrong, think of three things that bring you happiness or that you are grateful for. It may seem unnatural or difficult at first, but I promise you this practice can really change one’s perspective.

I hope you all reflect on positives in your day, and gain a fresh perspective that will aid you in all the challenges you may face in the present and future. You are not alone 🙂
-Katie