Benefits of Taking an Art Class at Fontbonne!

by Dani on November 9, 2015

in Academics,First Year at Fontbonne,New & Future Students

With campus tours on the upswing and prospective students checking out everything that Fontbonne has to offer, it reminded me of my first campus tour. The grounds and old buildings are beautiful and the small size of the university makes it all feel like a close-knit community. I knew I was going to be an art major so I specifically asked to be taken to the art building to see all the facilities. We have an impressive art department to say the least. I do know, however, that most campus tours only give a brief glimpse of the art buildings’ foyer. The other day I also heard a tour guide tell a perspective student that they could just take an art class online because it was easier.
I am writing today to encourage new and current students to go into the art building, walk around, talk to the professors and students, and take an art class! It has nothing to do with whether or not you can draw a perfect figure or if you think you have any artistic talent. It is the professor’s job to teach you the basics of which ever class you take, and Fontbonne’s art department offers so many different kinds of art classes! There are the traditional drawing and painting classes, but then there are classes like sculpture, book making, metal smithing, photography, and (my personal favorite) ceramics. I promise you do not need immense amounts of artistic ability to take any of these classes. In fact, the only thing you need is your hands and a little creativity.
Taking time to create art has also been found by researchers to do things like calm anxiety, ease depression, lower stress, and improve brain function. The health benefits of art are being used in Veteran Hospitals for PTSD, in retirement homes for Alzheimer’s, and children’s hospitals for cancer patients. There are several good research articles on the health benefits here:
Taking an art class can give you a chance to relax your brain from the rigors of other academic classes, turn on your creativity, and maybe even discover a new hobby. It may even give you a chance to see the world of art, how hard artists work to create what they’re passionate about, and make new friends. The Fontbonne art department is a little-known treasure, and those of us majoring in art would love to share it with you! Come for a visit and sign up for a studio class :)