Marcoot Dairy Creamery with the Saint Louis Dairy Council

Last week many of the dietetics seniors and I got the amazing opportunity to tour the Marcoot Dairy Creamery with the Saint Louis Dairy Council. It was great a great learning experience (and we got to sample cheese from the creamery so you can’t beat that!)
During the Tour I learned a lot, and simply had a good time being outdoors and doing something new with my friends in the dietetics department.

Here’s the three things I learned on the Dairy Farm Tour:

1) There’s a lot of misconceptions about dairy farming. One I hear often is that “all non-organic cows are loaded with antibiotics, and therefore, are bad for you!” I learned during the tour that this is absolutely not true. Only cows that absolutely need antibiotics receive them. Antibiotics are expensive and completely unnecessary for the cow if the cow is not sick. Myth = de-bunked!

2) Dairy alternatives such as almond milk and coconut milk should be used in moderation, just like dairy milk. These drinks are good for individuals who are lactose intolerant or avoid dairy for other reasons…but don’t forget to get important vitamins and minerals like calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B12 from other food sources if you commonly use these alternative beverages.

3) Dietitians work for the Dairy Council to encourage milk consumption (in children especially). I had no idea this was a potential career option, and I think it’s great that the Dairy Council promotes milk consumption in schools because milk contains nutrients that most children need to grow at a young age! In addition, milk is a better alternative to drinking soda. Sugar-filled drinks out, milk- in!