As the fall semester here at Fontbonne is halfway through, I’ve finally had a chance to start my volunteer service at St. Mary’s Hospital. I have to admit, when I first started the process to become a volunteer I felt a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information and a little unsure whether I could do a good job or not. The hospital requires two up-to-date TB tests, a flu shot during flu season (they provide free flu shots to volunteers), a volunteer interview, an orientation day, and a commitment of 12 months. It seems like a lot, but once you get started everything goes fairly quickly.

On my first day of volunteering I didn’t know what to expect. I had a lot of questions, but the other volunteers there were able to answer most of my questions and also help guide me through the different processes. I also met a lot of new people that came to the hospital to visit their loved ones. I was able to walk them to their destinations and chat with them a little. Each visitor seemed relieved to have the small help of navigating the large building. The visitors also had unique stories to tell. Each interaction felt like small gift in time.

During your time at Fontbonne I would highly recommend taking the time to volunteer in the community, if not at St. Mary’s, then perhaps with an organization that sparks your interest. There are perks to volunteering, like being able to put it on your resume for a master’s program or an addition to some scholarship applications. I think, however, that being able to give your time for a good cause is a reward all on its own. Now get out there and do something good for your community!

Cheers 😉