Falling Into Place

in Academics,Career Paths

Hey there Griffins! Back with more advice and a story to tell. We all have dreams right? For some of you, that dream may be becoming a doctor, politician, athletic trainer, or even a first generation college graduate. Whatever your dream is, know that it is achievable and you have every right to chase after it. I know what some of you may be thinking “why should listen to you? Aren’t you a student yourself? And your answer is yes, you’re right, I am a student, just like everyone who may or may not read my posts, and you’re right, I don’t have all answers to all the questions life has to ask.

What I do know though, is that every person on this planet has a dream or goal they want to achieve, and I can kinda sense that someone out there may need a little push or someone to tell them not to give up on their dreams. Well, aren’t you lucky? That’s why I’m here! Let me tell you a little about some of my own dreams, hopefully it’ll inspire you to go after your own.

Ever since I was about five years old, I have always wanted to be a lawyer; specifically, a criminal prosecutor. When I was around that age, I actually wanted to go Harvard Law School to begin my journey. Now you may be thinking, “if you’ve always wanted to be a prosecutor, why in the world are you a communication studies major? And why did you stop chasing this dream? Well, those are great questions, Griffins; the first one will be answered in my next post (that means you’ll have to come back next week…. stay tuned….). The second question though, I’d be happy to answer now. The reason why I put the dream of becoming a prosecutor on hold, is because of the naysayers in my life. Let’s be honest here, Griffins, we all have a naysayer in our life, some of us may have an entire team of naysayers in our lives. Whether your naysayers are family, friends, church members, or a significant other, they are in our lives, and trust me, it can get really tough when you’re chasing something. The truth is, I listened to my naysayers for a really long time.  When everyone around me told me that I couldn’t be a prosecutor because my grades weren’t good enough, I believed them. It wasn’t until last semester, during my time as a dispatch intern, that the dream of becoming a prosecutor started to reawaken in me. After a routine visit to the doctor, I decided that that little five year old girl who wanted to be a lawyer would finally achieve the dream her little ambitious heart desired. I know it’s not going to be easy; nothing worth having is ever easy to achieve. I know the work will probably be tough, and believe me, I am very aware that there will be law students who are smarter than me; but I don’t care, it’s time for me to make myself proud.

I’ll leave you guys with two pieces of advice: the first would be to go after your dreams, whatever those may be. Give them all you have, make the appropriate sacrifices, and invest in yourself at all times. The second piece of advice would be to never quit. Ever. No matter how hard it gets, or how scared you become; don’t give up. Always be willing to fight for what you want.