Why did you choose Fontbonne University?

by Fontbonne University on October 7, 2015

Why did you choose Fontbonne University?  This can honestly be a hard question to answer at times for myself.  At first when looking at colleges I wanted to attend at university that had my interest of major at the time which was special education.  Though as I looked at schools there were more reasons as to why I did not want to attend anywhere else compared to Fontbonne University.  My top reason for choosing a school was that there had to be a Catholic atmosphere where I could participate in my faith.  So I looked at St. Louis University, Benedictine College, Franciscan University, University of Central Missouri, Truman University and finally Avila University in Kansas City in addition to Fontbonne University.  As time went on when I was looking at these schools I also went with my gut feeling as to how I really could envision myself living on campus at this institutions and I really couldn’t except for one which was Avila University.  Fun Fact: Avila University is actually one of the sister schools to Fontbonne University.  So when I narrowed down my choices to Avila and Fontbonne, I was deciding between two similar schools in terms of their foundation.

Though when it came closer to having to pick which university, I thought of factors such as: being close to home so I could drive back home within a few hours if something were to happen, campus life with a Catholic identity, my major, and familiarity with the university.  Now what I mean with wanting to be familiar is that either someone in my family had to have attended the school or else a close friend because then I could relate and have someone to turn to in times of certain need.  Well for Fontbonne my sister actually already graduated from there in 2009, so that was set.  But also Fontbonne is right by my house, within the same city, making it easier to commute to and from school.  Plus the atmosphere cannot be compared to a large university at all.  I honestly love that I can talk to my teachers about any subject in my life – such as a spontaneous family event that may occur in which I feel the need to drop all of my stuff and forget about homework for a few days where I get behind on schoolwork.  Now this did happen to a degree this year, but now I have caught up on my homework and am ahead in some subjects.  Though having such honest relationships with my professors helped me stay at ease and less stressed because by letting them know what was going on, in turn then, they were more understanding with any late assignment or test that I may have had.  Relationships are very valuable in college and can go a long way, and I know that there are several here on Fontbonne University’s campus.  Our teachers care about our success.