Tips for Your First Semester!

by Alumni Posts on September 10, 2015

in First Year at Fontbonne

So you’ve finally made it. Whether you’ve just started your first semester of college living on campus or living in an apartment or a house by yourself, there are some things to consider as you take this academic year head-on.

1. Make a budget and follow it!

It’s easy to get carried away buying stuff online because you’re that excited about receiving packages or doing fun things or buying stuff from Target you don’t really need. Whether you are working and schooling full time or not working at all, planning a budget can help you manage your money while you live on or off campus! Using a budget app can help you look at your monthly expenses in many areas and help you save money in the long run.

2. Schedule time to sit down and do homework or study everyday.

I mean, let’s be honest, studying or doing homework isn’t that great. It’s easy to get caught up in extracurricular and social activities that leave you at the end of the week having accomplished little homework. But if you take the time to study every day for your classes or schedule time for homework, it will benefit you and help you achieve the best grades you can while managing your time wisely.

3. Do extracurricular activities!

Yeah, I know I just told you to schedule time to study and do homework and all, but doing extracurricular stuff is important too. Join clubs! Do sports! Work a job! Do whatever! Volunteer for stuff that will look good for a future career/graduate school applications later on.  You’ll probably have more time to do this now rather than later.

4. Be yourself! 

This is Lion King-esque I know, but it’s important. It’s easy to let yourself change your ideals to fit in with other people you first meet your freshman year. You don’t need to do that. I mean, people change and you might be still trying to find out who you are and that’s okay.  But you don’t need to go to great lengths to do so! Looking back now, I don’t even talk to the people I met when I started my first semester of college. You’ll find your niche and really great friends can come out of this whole experience!!

I could go on and on with tips and stories I’ve acquired over the past few years, but that’s for another day. These may as well be the best dang years of your life, so make the most of it! Let’s have a great year everyone!! 🙂